Monday, January 20, 2014

Thrifty Valentine Gift Inspiration


I don't know about you, but I jump at the opportunity to show teachers some love throughout the year and Valentine's Day is no exception!  I wanted to share a few of my favorite ideas for spreading a little homemade joy and sweetness this year on Feb 14th.  You can even get your kids involved in making these, but remember to save some chocolate for teacher ;)



Altered Mailbox. Target generally carries these cute little mini mailboxes in the $1 spot and they are back in stock!  There are so many ways to decorate these little cuties and then fill them with teacher's favorite goody...I chose hershey kisses, but you could also use peppermint patties or mints too.


Upcycled Pencil Jar.  If you have any glass bottles or jars laying around, they make great pencil or pen holders.  Get out your favorite Valentine paper and embellishments for the jar and I used washi tape for the pencils (Staples has pre-sharpened pencils too).  I tied a DIY chalkboard label to the front of the jar.  You could even add a little tag with teacher's name to personalize it.


Altered Notepad/Matching Pen Set. These skinny notepads are fun and functional.  You can get the notepads from Papertrey Ink or an Office Supply store.  Dress them up with your favorite scraps, stickers, ribbon, trim and add a cute little stamped tag and a pen.



Altered Window Tin with Hershey Nuggets.  These hershey nugget filled tins were such a hit at my Christmas Craft fair, I decided to roll right into Valentine's Day with them!  You can order the rectangular shaped tins here.  They are item 6517060P. I  bought a big batch of hershey nuggets from Costco.  The kiddies helped me take 1 inch by 3 inch strips of coordinating scrapbook paper and vintage sheet music to wrap around the nuggets and secure with adhesive (I used my ATG).  Once you fill the tin with 12 candies, create a "wrapper" about 3 1/2 " x 9 " for the tin itself.  Embellish with your favorite love stickers, doilies, hearts and top it off with some pretty ribbon or tulle around.


Not into Do-It-Yourself?  These sweet treats are available in my Etsy shop here!  

Thanks for stopping by!
post signature

1 comment:

  1. Fun, fun gifts!!! I'm sure the kiddo's teachers just love to know that they are appreciated in such a fun sweet, way! Your kind, generous spirit is a great example for us all! xo my friend!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughtful comments!