Monday, March 4, 2013

Make It Monday - Upcycled Art Caddy

Hey there friends!  Thanks for dropping by for Make it Monday.  I know a lot of you are coffee lovers, and some of you have probably stumbled on my favorite brand of low-fat latte: Archer Farms by Target.  If you're like me, you probably have some of their (or another brand's) cardboard holders stashed away for a rainy day. 
 
Today, I'm going to show you how I turned it into a cool, repurposed caddy to corral art supplies. 
 
 
I used supplies I had on hand:
 
the latte carton (one for beer will work too)
4 mason jars
patterned cardstock
white cardstock
 ribbon and washi tape
fabric
rub-ons letters (stickers or pre-printed ones will work too)
pencil and scissors
paper adhesive (I used the ATG)
 
 
To cover your box, lie the box down onto the the back of the patterned paper.  Trace around it, cut it out, apply your favorite adhesive and stick it to the box.  Do this for each side of your box.



I wanted to trim the jars with something fun, so I used some ribbon and, yes, washi tape!   I tried just wrapping it around the mouth of the jar, but it wouldn't lay flat, so I folded the washi tape for a "ruffled look".  Just stick the beginning of the tape down,  dab a bit of glue about a quarter of an inch to the right, take the other end of the washi tape and fold it down on to the glue, kinda making it look like a pleat.  To help the tape survive my kids' wear n' tear, I covered it with a generous coat of Mod Podge.
 
 
 This is the back of the caddy.  To label the jars, I used some "postage stamp" patterned scissors to cut out white ovals.  The brown letters are rub-ons (if you notice the cracks on some of the letters, then you know I have had these letters for way too long). I used Mod Podge to apply the ribbon. On the back side, shown below, I used a coordinating polka-dot paper as a trim, and used the orange fabric you see in the final picture to trim the front.
 
 
 
Here is the finished caddy and jars.  I think it will entice the kids to put the supplies away, don't you?
 
 
What's your favorite thing to repurpose or upcycle?
 
Thanks for stopping by:
 
{{Hugs}}
 
Kimberly
 
 
**Please note, I have no affiliation with any of the above-manufacturers or their products.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your thoughtful comments!